Vepica’s Process Engineering Department is committed to the incorporation of new technologies. For this reason, between 2014 and 2016 great effort and resources have been invested to implement SmartPlant P&ID (SPP&ID) into the design cycle, in order to offer our clients an intelligent platform on which to develop their projects.
SmartPlant P&ID allows us to develop Pipe and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID) and store the main process data in a centralized database. The stored information can be used to generate, quickly and easily, engineering products such as the line lists, equipment list and any other report on elements contained in the diagrams.
Additionally, the program has rules that condition the relationship between objects, this allows information to be spread between them and maintain consistency in the design.
One of the biggest advantages of this new technology is that it allows us to increase the consistency in project deliverables, as information is centralized in the P&ID and can easily be consulted, at all times.
Between the end of 2014 and the middle of 2015, we received support from Intergraph, the SmartPlant P&ID supplier, in the integration of this solution with the tools for the other engineering disciplines. Through this development, Vepica has established the bases in order to offer our clients projects, with the SmartPlant platform, in integrated environments.
As part of the implementation of SmartPlant P&ID at Vepica, the following activities were developed:
- Creation of new symbols adjusted to our standards and clients.
- Configuration of reports according to Vepica standards (line lists, equipment list, interconnection points list, etc.)
- Definition of new attributes in the database to better describe the process.
- Customization of formats, units, propagation rules and lists of values.
- Development of connectivity between SmartPlant tools, with the establishment of new links among its attributes.
- Publication of guides for the administration and use of the application, complementing the information already available in the department.
At the end of 2016, we had the opportunity to use SmartPlant on the Meridian Davis Refinery project. This project was successfully developed with results that were highly satisfactory for the client. The use of SmartPlant P&ID on an important project was an enriching experience that contributed valuable lessons learned and opportunities for improvement.
In the near future, we will take advantage of this experience to promote the use of the application according to our needs and best practices. We are eager to continue integration with the rest of the SmartPlant tools and thus be able to offer our clients project development using the most modern technology.